Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Instructions for the day of oral surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- Plan to arrive to arrive 30 minutes prior to your surgery time.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for six hours prior to the appointment.
- Clear liquids are acceptable up to two hours prior to the appointment. Clear liquids include only water, tea, black coffee, carbonated beverages, and juices without pulp. Do not drink milk.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- Do not use marijuana for 48 hours before surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. We cannot begin IV anesthesia if your ride is not here.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, dentures and tongue bars and rings must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Drs. Colarusso, Baran and Kobakov prior to your surgical date for instructions. Approved medications should be taken with a small sip of water.
- Bring a current list of all prescription and over the counter medications with you.